Susan is an education attorney with a practice focus on public charter schools. Susan represents and provides counsel to charter school leaders and boards of trustees on a wide range of matters including school operations, board governance, charter applications and renewals, compliance, special education, student discipline, employment, mergers, leasing and facilities, Commissioner’s appeals and litigation.
Prior to joining Cohen Schneider Law, P.C., Susan served as Legal Counsel at the New York City Charter School Center, where she provided legal support to the Charter Center and guidance to New York City charter schools. Susan has a background in corporate law and practiced as a civil litigator for many years, gaining wide ranging litigation experience in Connecticut State and Federal Courts, including appellate and complex litigation matters. Susan is a certified mediator and has completed the State of Connecticut’s Guardian ad Litem / Attorney for the Minor Child comprehensive training.
Susan volunteers her time to community, non-profit organizations with an emphasis on service to at-risk children and youth.
Activities & Career Highlights
- Regional Youth Adult Social Action Partnership (RYASAP), Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Member, Board of Directors (2014 – Present)
- Great Oaks Charter School – Bridgeport
- Member, Board of Directors (2015 – Present)
- 40-Hour Mediation Certificate: Quinnipiac University School of Law, Center on Dispute Resolution, Hamden, CT – Fall 2010
- Guardian Ad Litem/Attorney for the Minor Child Comprehensive Training, co-sponsored by the Connecticut Judicial Branch, Connecticut Office of the Chief Public Defender, Children’s Law Center, and Quinnipiac University School of Law: 30-Hour Certificate of Completion, December 2012
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Association of Public Charter School Attorneys
- New York City Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Bar Association